With Thanksgiving just over a month away, we thought we'd share our top tips for hosting the most memorable dinner party. While hosting an event can seem daunting, with some thoughtful planning, you can be sure to leave your guests talking for days, weeks, or sometimes years!
1. Be thoughtful when creating your guest list. Invite people you think will mesh together well, who will enjoy one another and bring a pleasant atmosphere to your dinner party. Complement a reserved guest with one who is particularly good at making new friends, or simply invite people who you feel will have a lot in common and naturally converse.
3. Set the table. You are the host/hostess, and it’s your job to determine the theme and the level of formality. Paper plates and plastic utensils can be great for casual gatherings and barbecues, but if you’re looking for something a bit more formal, take a look at these 5 tips for a great tablescape at Remodelaholic. Candles and a bit of greenery are all you need to get started, but you can take it to the next level with these super-simple ideas for centerpieces. A classy centerpiece adds to the conversation and mood of the party as well.
4. Set the mood with music, lighting, and comfortable, cozy seating areas. A personalized playlist vibrating softly in the background gives people permission to use their voices rather than maintain a thoughtful silence. Low light and candles tend to make people more comfortable. Cozy groupings of chairs and cushions ensure that your guests aren’t too far apart to start socializing.
6. Provide a fun appetizer and a signature drink. Rather than leaving your guests to entertain themselves while you finish up with the meal preparation, offer something to jumpstart their taste buds and get them talking. For some great ideas, try one or two of these fun finger foods from Chocolate, Chocolate and More.
7. Enjoy your own party. Nothing can dampen the spirit of a party like having the host or hostess running to and fro throughout the night and never stopping to socialize. Remember, you invited them, and as much as your guests may seem to be enjoying each other’s company, they came to see you. Besides, after all your hard work, you deserve to put your feet up and enjoy the food and the camaraderie.
8. Send your guests home with something. A simple party favor puts the finishing touch on your evening together. A ceramic dip bowl with a recipe for your favorite dip attached, a mini-dessert to enjoy the next day, or a small piece of jewelry for female friends is a great way to send them off.
Here’s to a Happy Thanksgiving!
Exquisitely Dunn by Kayla Marie
Exquisitely Dunn was officially established in 2007, but its story begins many years prior. Our founder and creative director, Kayla Marie Dunn, has been crafting memorable events since childhood. She quickly realized her knack for dreaming big and transforming vision into reality. This, coupled with her impeccable style, allows us to create classic, elegant events to suit any client’s taste. The hummingbird embodies our philosophy at Exquisitely Dunn. It is delicate, yet surprisingly strong; it is versatile, efficient, swift, and graceful. Understated yet bold, the hummingbird provides joy, brightness, and love. This is the unique spirit Exquisitely Dunn brings to every event.